Freight and Receiving
The Staging Area for Trucks entering the VIS (Vehicle Inspection Station) Gate / North Yard Gate has officially moved to the Hidens Complex at 63rd Street & Warwick Blvd. Please reference pages 10-11 on the updated NNS Freight Routing Guide below.
NNS is in the process of adding over 450,000 sq ft of new warehouse space as well as adjusting product located at current locations. This will result in new and revised delivery locations. As NNS gets closer to "go live" we will be updating purchase orders, Lane Balance delivery options, and the NNS Freight Routing Guide with the new information. Please revisit this site for updates on this project.
Call the Traffic Information Line at 757-380-3030 for information on the following:
- Call Option 1: Hours of Operation
- Call Option 2: Prohibited Items
- Call Option 3: Directions to Vehicle Inspection Gate (VIS)
- Call Option 4: Directions to Main Receiving
Any additional questions can be emailed to NNSTrafficOffice@hii-nns.com or you can call:
Freight Shipping Requirements:
It is MANDATORY when shipping material to NNS that the requirements of the NNS Freight Routing Guide be followed unless otherwise specified in the NNS Purchase Order. The requirements must be flowed down for third party shipments as well. The NNS Freight Routing Guide provides the requirements for shipment of material to NNS. It includes:
- Contact information
- How to setup a shipment to NNS
- Access to the Lane Balance freight management system
- FedEx shipment requirements
- Shipping label bar-coding requirements
- Delivery location hours
- Directions to NNS primary delivery locations
- Import/Export requirements
- Citizenship validation requirements for drivers entering the main NNS location
- Prohibited items that cannot be with the driver if delivering within the main NNS location
- Other freight related requirements
Shipping Documents Requirements:
All shipping documents for material shipped to NNS must have the information identified in the NNS Freight Routing Guide and specific information must be also bar-coded on Shipping Label and Packing List. Bar-coding can only be bar-coded documents from the Lane Balance system or bar-coding approved by NNS. Refer to the NNS Freight Routing Guide for specific bar-coding detail.
Lane Balance Freight Management System:
Suppliers must use the Lane Balance Freight Management System for shipments 150 pounds or greater. Lane Balance will select the appropriate approved NNS freight provider given location and weight of the material being shipped. Suppliers delivering to Main Receiving with their own trucks must schedule timeslots with Lane Balance for ALL deliveries. The NNS Freight Routing Guide provides detail on requirements and directions on access to the system. Training on use of the system can be found at the following links:
Import / Export:
Contact the NNS Traffic before making any Imports to NNS or Exports on our behalf.
- Camera Phones
- iPads / Tablets with Cameras
- Weapons of any kind including firearms and knives
- Laptops (unless permanently attached to the vehicle)
- Passengers (unless other drivers)
- Pets - For a fee, VCA James River Animal Hospital will hold
- VCA James River Animal Hospital
9804 Warwick Blvd.
Newport News, VA 23607
- VCA James River Animal Hospital
Newport News Shipbuilding is NOT permitted to hold the above mentioned items for the driver.